For those in a hurry - the short version :)
The Woohoo All Natural Deodorant paste is the best thing that has/will ever happen to your armpits. End of story. It's the healthy, toxin-free alternative to anti-perspirant deodorants that will keep you BO free all day long. It's 100% natural, organic, vegan, and Aussie made by Aaron and Phoebe. 100% cruelty free (tested only on human hamsters) and if it doesn't work, let us know and within 30 days and you get your money back. Oh yeah.
The long version
We (Aaron and Phoebe - husband and wife from Newcastle NSW) are self-confessed mix-a-holics. We’ll mix or blend whatever it is we can get our hands on.
Smoothies (usually green). Doughs (homemade bread is the best). Mix tapes (children of the 80’s). Mixed nuts (unsalted). Mixed socks (no prizes for most organised household here). And nearly becoming a champion cocktail mixer (more on this below).
Mixing was our secret obsession. Add a generous dash of passion for health and wellness, and out popped Happy Skincare in 2010 (organic, 100% natural, vegan skincare).
So there we were, living the health-obsessed mix-a-holic’s dream. But not quite.
There was this smell coming from somewhere.... Ewwww... was that Aaron? ;) Let's go back a few years to make sure we tell this story right!
Aaron had always struggled with using deodorants as they caused irritation - usually uncomfortable redness and itchiness. There was only one brand that he could use but it was far from natural.
Being the health-obsessed fellow he was, of course he ditched it and went searching for a natural deodorant.
Aaron’s experience was the same as most people looking for natural deodorants. They performed very poorly with all the usual complaints. They were wet and sticky, didn’t work long enough and didn’t smell that great.
In the end he had to go au naturale and be constantly self-conscious about smelling of B.O.
So the years passed and Aaron found himself as the owner and director and cosmetic formulator of an amazing skincare company (… ah I digress…) and the search for a non-irritating deodorant was still going on.
Aaron thought he was onto a winner we found out about deodorant pastes that used bicarb soda. They were really good at beating the stink so he tried every one he could find. But they all had the same disappointing result after a few days….
Red, irritated armpits with an itch that would drive you mad.
Aaron knew that he wouldn’t be alone. Surely there were other people out there who desperately wanted to go for a natural deodorant but were kept being let down by what was available.
It was time for to do something about it and we created our own deodorant paste, but not without a few (ahem many) epic failures first.
The problem with bicarb soda in natural deodorants
The problem with deodorants that use bicarb soda is the pH is way too high, so it causes irritation. So we worked on the theory of trying to lower the pH so you wouldn’t get itchy pits.
It sounds easy in theory but changing the pH of a waterless product like a deodorant paste was a massive challenge, even for a talented (and now smelly and itchy) cosmetic formulator.
He needed to add something acidic. Citric acid was all we could think of as it was a powder but what a mess! Think of sticky brown shea butter soufflé and you will have what we created. It was awful, back to the blank ideas board.
It took months of looking for another suitable ingredient but our smelly cosmetic formulator never stopped looking. Aaron wasn’t willing to compromise anything – it had to be cruelty free (more difficult to find than you might think!), vegan, and truly effective at the same time as being gentle.
Finally he found the silver bullet and work started on finding the perfect balance of ingredients that would create the most underarm-friendly deodorant the sensitive people of planet Earth had ever seen.
He knew he was on the final straight and nothing was going to stop him. Not even a week or two nursing irritated underarms. He eventually found the ideal balance and boy are we proud.
Aaron put it in a jar and called it the Woohoo! All Natural Deodorant Paste. And he was never smelly again.
It may look like a just a jar of deodorant but what’s inside is a result of 36+ years of deodorant frustration and 5 years of self-obsessed learning.
A few surprising things about the Woohoo! All Natural Deodorant Paste
- It’s waterless. You might find that sometimes there are little tiny grains of shea butter that need to be rubbed between your fingers to melt before applying.
- It works on feet. If you like the sockless look then Woohoo can save everybody some embarrassment.
- It can be used under the band of your bra if it causes chafing.
- One jar lasts ages. Usually 5-6 months if you’re using it once a day.
Epilogue: Aaron’s not really as smelly as this story makes him sound! He does have a normal amount of manly body odour, but we did exaggerate his body odour just a little for the sake of a good story :) We didn’t have to exaggerate how sensitive he is though … the Woohoo! is the only all natural deodorant he can wear and it does the all-important job of keeping him smell free all day long, day after day, with no irritation. We think it can do the same for you too :)
Meet team Woohoo
We're a team of 2.5, the apprentice (our cavoodle Rusty) is a bit of a slacker, but we punch above our weight. If you need to chat then you get to talk to one of us.
Aaron - Maverick Mixer and Owner Director
Yes I lost the Suntory NSW Cocktail mixing championships of 2001 by 1 point. The mixing bug bit at an early age when I first discovered the joy of mixing peanut butter and honey. Pancakes, tapes, signals and cocktails I have mixed them all. So being the maverick mixer for the Woohoo All Natural Deodorant Paste is a perfect fit.
- I'm / I'd / I'll...An ex-naval officer / use any excuse to go out for ice cream / use metaphors and puns at every opportunity.
- I ride...any type of board or bike
- I drink...Quality over quantity. Coffee, wine or beer, one amazing one is better than 100 average ones.
- I prefer...Dogs
- I have ...an amazing (maybe annoying) ability to remember quotes from movies e.g. “negative Ghostrider the pattern is full”
- My weakness is ...chocolate
- I never leave home without ...sunglasses
Phoebe - Formula Firebrand and Owner Director
Erm... how do I say this and still sound cool... OK I’ll just say it anyway ... I love maths and formulas. These days my degree in Software Engineering is being (debatably) put to good use by keeping our website up and running and creating brilliant spreadsheets. Plus I keep Aaron in check - you’ve gotta watch these mix-aholic cowboys. There’s something truly beautiful about a skincare formula that is elegant, simple, and effective.
- I'm / I'd / I'll...Mummy of 2 high energy boys / rather be standing on my head / never be too old for slippery dips
- I ride...my yoga mat or up hills faster than Aaron
- I drink...decaf (comes with the Mummy territory)
- I prefer...quiet (which is rare with a house full of boys)
- I have...snowboarded in 3 countries in 1 day
- My weakness is...coffee and cake
- I never leave home without...lip balm
Rusty – Layabout apprentice
- I'm / I'd / I'll...Asleep / rather be asleep / now bark out the window
- I ride...with my head out the window
- I drink...with my tongue out
- I prefer...smoked salmon
- I have...a talent for singing (I prefer to accompany the harmonica)
- My weakness is...a scratch on the belly
- I never leave home without...a sense of adventure
... and that's us in a nutshell. Hopefully we haven't sent you running for the hills. If you haven't, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive regular updates (just enter your details at the bottom of this page).